Vegan Caramelised Pineapple Trifle
COOKS IN 60 MINS PLUS CHILLING
PREPARED BY GAZ OAKLEY
1 400ml tin of Coconut Milk
1 Vanilla Pod or 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
1 Shot of Vegan White Rum
1/4 tsp Ground turmeric
360ml Non Dairy Milk
4 heaped tbs of Corn Starch
4 tbs Icing Sugar
1 tin of Full Fat Coconut Milk, refrigerated
1/2 cup Icing Sugar
1 Vanilla Pod / 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
To Set The Trifle
6 La Boulangère Vegan Choc Chip Brioche Rolls or La Boulangère Vegan Pains au Chocolat, cut in half length ways
6.5g/1 Sachet Vegan Gelatine
2 tbs Unrefined Caster Sugar
480ml Fresh Pineapple Juice
1/2 Pineapple, peeled & cut into chunks
4 tbs Coconut Sugar
Toasted Coconut Flakes
- Pre heat a griddle pan over a medium heat, and add a little coconut oil.
- When the pan is hot add the pineapple chunks & coconut sugar, allow the pineapple to caramelise for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the pineapple juice, water, vegan gelatine & sugar to a saucepan. Heat & whisk the mixture over a low heat until it comes to a simmer then turn off.
- Pour the pineapple juice mixture into your trifle dish & drop the caramelised pineapple chunks into it. Place the dish into your fridge to set, this should take around 2-3 hours.
- Once the jelly has set, make your custard. Into a saucepan add the coconut milk, vanilla, rum, turmeric. Heat the mixture over a low heat to infuse.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the nondairy milk, corn starch & icing sugar until smooth.
- When the coconut milk is hot and has infused, add the nondairy milk mixture. Using a spatula, constantly stir the mixture until its thick, creamy & has a custard like consistency. This should take around 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat & place cling film directly over the custard to stop a skin from forming & let it cool for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your Crème Chantilly. Add the coconut milk (solid part), icing sugar & vanilla to a mixing bowl and whisk ideally with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Onto the jelly layer, lay the La Boulangère vegan choc chip brioche rolls or La Boulangère vegan pains au chocolate making sure there are no gaps.
- Then spoon over the slightly cooled custard. Place the trifle back into the fridge to cool down before topping it with the crème chantilly.
- Just before serving, shave dark chocolate over the trifle, zest of a lime and sprinkle over coconut flakes.