Wholemeal Brioche Baguette Parmigiana Sandwiches
Created by: Marika Cucuzza
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for the tomato sauce:
- 1 large white onion
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 400ml of tomato passata
- 200ml of water
- A sprinkle of brown sugar
- Salt as taste
Ingredients for the aubergine parmigiana:
- 2 large aubergines
- 350ml of vegetable oil
- 70g of parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Rock salt
- 2 La Boulangère wholemeal plain brioche baguettes
1. The secret to delicious aubergines is to salt them before cooking to draw out moisture and condense its flavour. Trim and slice the aubergines 1cm thick.
2. Place each slice on a large colander, side by side, and sprinkle some rock salt on top each slice. Place more aubergine slices on top of each other and repeat again with rock salt. Let them sit for 40 minutes
3. In the meantime, prepare the tomato sauce. Clean and slice the onion in large wedges;
4. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat; Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion wedges, sauté for 5 minutes or until soften;
5. Pour into the saucepan the small jar of tomato passata. Add some water in the jar, swirl and pour the liquid back to the saucepan;
6. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to simmer. At this point, add salt and taste.
7. Also add a sprinkle of sugar to remove completely the acidity of the sauce; Reduce the heat to medium, cover the sauce and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
8.. After 40 minutes, rinse the aubergine slices lightly under cold water, place them on paper towels, and pat try each slice;
9. Place a large pan on a medium heat with vegetable oil. Working in batches, fry the aubergine slices (2-3 slices at time) until golden brown on both sides. Blot the cooked slices on paper towel;
10. When the tomato sauce has finished simmering, taste and adjust for seasonings. Keep the sauce aside and cool down any left over (refrigerate any leftover and use within 1 day);
11. Place the aubergine slices in one or two serving dishes, pour the tomato sauce on top each layer, sprinkle some fresh grated parmesan cheese and finishing with fresh basil leaf on each slice;
11. Halve the wholemeal plain brioche baguette and spread with layers of aubergines parmigiana, place the top half of the baguette on top and repeat the same for the second baguette.